I'm going to be moving from Blogger sometime soon. I've got as far as buying razorbladeoflife.co.uk, but don't bother looking there yet because there's nothing to see. Ro is lending a hand and I've explained my requirements, which mostly have to do with comments. I don't know if we'll find a way of sorting it all out from the start, but this is what I've said.
- There must be a way of subscribing to comments, I don't expect people who respond to a post to have to keep coming back to see what else has been said.
- They shouldn't have to belong to Wordpress, Google or anything else to leave a comment.
- Ideally, I'd like one-off approval of commenters, I neither want people to have to go through complicated word verification nor be bothered by spam myself (Blogger)
- If someone says they will subscribe to comments, I don't want them to have to say it again in an email, especially one that starts 'Howdy' (Wordpress).
- I want them to be able to put in the name they want to be known by - I sometimes have to put Zed because Z isn't long enough (Disqus).
- Once they leave a comment once, I want their details to be remembered if they wish, so that they don't have to fill it all in again. It's no good ticking a Google identity box if you don't want your full name going into the comment box and a guest signing-in isn't remembered (Disqus).
- Regarding the blog itself, I want to be able to move all posts and comments too.
I don't think any of this is a whole lot to ask, but we'll see. I heard on the radio recently that MySpace has just had a relaunch, but those who blogged on it had their entire blogs wiped, with no warning. I'd have been devastated, frankly, I love my blog.