Thursday 15 February 2007

Which is Dum and which is Dee?

I was waiting at traffic lights in Norwich this afternoon when my eye was caught by two figures ahead of me, dressed in red coats. They were little old ladies, backs bent with osteoporosis and for a moment I thought they were walking hand in hand, until I realised they each held one handle of their shopping bag. Then I noticed they were wearing matching headscarves, decorated with bright flowers on a white background and that their coats were not just similar but identical. Feeling a bit spooked, I looked them up and down. Indeed, their shoes were exactly the same too.

The lights changed. I looked as I drove past, trying to see their faces, but their heads were lowered and partly obscured by their scarves, so that all I could see were similar beaky noses.

Surely they are sisters, maybe twins? I imagine them as spinsters, who have lived together all their lives, doing everything together. Now, similarly affected by crumpling bones, they support and rely on each other, so close that they even choose to dress exactly the same.

I told Al. He thinks it is rather lovely. I find it a bit creepy. Yes, comforting for them in a way, for they have never been lonely, but unsettling too and more than a little unnatural.

9 comments:

Monozygote said...

Oh yes, I've heard of them! They are twins. I wish I could remember their names. I read about them in a magazine some years ago. I think it's really good luck to see them. Well done you.

Z said...

You are a dreadful tease, Dandelion. But you might be right, I've been feeling particularly lucky this afternoon.

Anonymous said...

They do sound like quite a team. I worked at my parents' business years ago. One time some delightful elderly ladies came in...twins...from Scotland. Though they came to the U.S 50 years earlier they both still retained the brogue. They completed each other sentences and frankly...they both DID look and talk like Mrs. Doubtfire.

y.Wendy.y said...

Torn between cute and creepy.

The whole twin thing boggles my mind anyway. Natural cloning..very odd.

Anonymous said...

hahahahahaha.this post of yours reminds of something that happened to me, z.

when we were young, my father has this nasty habit of always dressing me and my sister alike (shes a year and a month younger than me). same designs, different colors. from head to toe. we have photographs to eternalize that part of our lives!

it wasn't that bad but then it wasnt that funny either. i wonder what he was thinking!

Z said...

When I was a little girl, back in the late 50s, dressing sisters alike was the thing to do. My sister is 5 years older than me, so it must have looked a bit odd. Also, I grew very slowly, probably because I knew that when I finally outgrew one outfit there was an identical one, bigger, waiting for me.

luckyzmom said...

I am fondly reminded of the trip my husband and I took to England via military standby.

We were waiting at a bus station in London for the bus back to the base and we struck up a conversation with two delightful women about lollies and popscycles, then on to breakfast with sausages and streaky bacon. They knew each other so well and would correct or finish each others sentences. I was sad to see them board their bus and leave.

Z said...

Hello Luckyzmom - with your name I feel I should know you already! How lovely, to have such a close friend. I have a couple from childhood, but none that close.

You know, if ever I thought of either leaving England or becoming vegetarian, sausages and streaky bacon would give me most cause for hesitation. And Marmite, of course, in the case of emigration.

Pat said...

I've never thought about it before but I suppose twins are likely to have half as much calcium. It is a bit creepy!
Hey I'm New Blogger and as sweet and unspoiled as ever!