Wednesday 14 December 2011

Another photo


I received a present from Texas.  Thank you very much, LX.  I shall enjoy getting to grips with cup and spoon measurements instead of ounces or grammes, and think of you every time I bake.

It has been a full day if not a busy one.  My friend from childhood, Charlotte, visited us - she last stayed back in February, but has been ill most of the year so, although we've spoken on the phone, I haven't seen her.  She has moved here from Holland and now lives in the next town, a few miles away.

The new boiler was installed yesterday, I paid the bill straight into Mourad's account this morning.  He and James, my tenant, are both happy.  My bank account is straitened but not quite empty.  I can still afford Christmas, especially as I just had a credit card bill today for only £14.13.  I am quite a frugal Z, on the whole, which is a rather dismal thing to be, I think.  I'm sure you all have a mental picture of me merrily shopping my way out of the recession.

Those of you who visited us in May (or at any other time) would not believe the loveliness out in the drive.  No weeds in the gravel, a good layer of new gravel and plenty of space to park any number of cars.  It's so spruce and tidy that it makes me slightly uncomfortable.  Too perfect, you know?  I don't really feel quite at ease* with perfection and prefer slight shabbiness and a few randomly scattered items that shouldn't be there.  Still, it's only a matter of time and I will have my wish.  I have every confidence.

Darlings, it's only half past ten but I didn't get all the sleep I'd have liked.  I'm going to bed soon.  Sweet dreams.

*Thank you, Tim

12 comments:

Tim said...

Just as well you don't feel at east with perfection.
I've warned you, I'm frivolous now for the duration.

Z said...

Are you, Tim? That's marvellous. May I join you?

Tim said...

Of course. Frivolos - easy. Let's make a rule - don't correccttypos sendem as they comne

Z said...

Okya

Ms Scarlet said...

Perfection probably is very west... or south.
Mr LX is a star!! Bless him... and now I've forgotten what I was going to say, which is shabby of me.
Sx

LẌ said...

Cook something fun with them!

My two most recent posts have recipes, but neither requires measurements so you will have to look elsewhere!

Blue Witch said...

Having proper cups and spoons is great. You can then make a recipe once using them, weighing the ingredients as you go, and note it down on the recipe, so that next time you can do things the sensible way :)

It's interesting that many US food bloggers have written about how using cups is too inaccurate for many recipes, particularly baking (which is the only thing I - and most experienced cooks I suspect - ever weigh for anyway).

Z said...

East Angular certainly is by no means perfect. I shall leave all typos uncorrected for the rest of the year (which may mean no more late-night bloging).

I certainly will, LX.

I'll see how it goes, BW. I know a few people who have found that they prefer cups, including English people who have moved to America or Canada. I do have to weigh eggs though, as ours aren't standard size - although, even for baking, I can usually tell how many I need by looking at them. So I'll start with both weighing and ... er ... cupping.

*nothing personal, Tim

Z said...

I should add, that I certainly will use them regularly, if only because it'll make me think of my kind blog friend LX!

Z said...

That 'nothing personal' makes no sense, because I accidentally deleted a sentence. This no correcting of typos is going to cause some problems. I'm going to do some work now.

Unknown said...

I hope you and your measuring cup live happily ever after!

BTW, my dad loves chocolate cake! x

Z said...

When I'm in your neck of the woods, I shall bring him one, John x