Monday 20 March 2006

Fur coat and?

I was talking to a friend on the phone tonight about the perils of AGMs when you are obliged to sit at a table onstage. A couple of years ago I was in that situation and realised that my knee-length, straight skirt had a tendency to ride up and, worse, I was wearing stockings. I skewered myself into the most modest pose possible and stayed there.

My friend had a similar story, but in a slightly shorter skirt and she received a complaint afterwards – ‘ I couldn’t concentrate on the meeting at all, your legs were much too distracting.’ She was mortified and never again sat at a higher level than her audience unless her legs were covered to the ankle.

I admitted that I would have taken it as a compliment.

In 3 months both of us will be on the same platform. Both modestly dressed no doubt. Or maybe I’ll provide an all-enveloping cloth for the table and spare all blushes.

No comments: