Tuesday 22 September 2009

Z writes a letter and has nothing for lunch

Half past one. The Sage arrives home. "Have you had any lunch?" I asked. "Not yet," he replied - what a world of expectancy in those two words. Pity. "Um. There's no cheese left." "I'll go out and get some cheese." "Or there's eggs, but there isn't any bread." "I'll get a loaf. And post your parcel." I wondered whether to mention that I have nothing planned for dinner. I decided that's a disappointment too far, as yet. Anyway, there's always food, if one uses a bit of imagination. It's just a question of how well you can bluff.

The children are coming through soon for a couple of hours, or else I'd go and do some shopping myself. Apparently, they're looking forward to bouncing on our bed. They're not allowed to do that at home. I think it's one of the things that Grannies should allow - after all, when you don't have to deal with the consequences, there's a lot of fun to be had from being over-indulgent with children.

I've just written a long letter, a rarity nowadays. It is an actual letter, not an email, but it doesn't really count as a proper personal thing because I typed it. I know. This is not a good thing at all. However, I hand-write so little nowadays that much more than a signature is beyond my powers of legibility. Besides, as we only write to each other occasionally, I only know what I've said if I keep a record - otherwise I'll say the same thing several times and leave something vital out altogether. Conveniently, our birthdays are a fortnight apart and so my thank-you letter can go in with my present to her. This year, I've given her a hip flask. I have no idea whether this is a good present or a peculiar one, for one middle-aged woman to give another, but I'd not mind being given one myself, so I hope it's the former. She and I were at school together and still are friends, although we don't see each other for years on end.

7 comments:

sablonneuse said...

Glad I'm not the only one who's not always organised ehrn it comes to meals.

Dandelion said...

If we had some ham, we could have some ham and eggs. If we had some eggs.

I think a hip-flask is a lovely present.

Z said...

I've just remembered we've both got a meeting tonight, so we'll do well to have dinner at all.

I've often wished I had one. It would be so cheering on a wintry walk, or when on holiday and you've been dismayed by the prices at the hotel bar.

Sarah said...

There is nothing I cherish more than receiving a hand written letter, one of life's joys. Which is why I am always sending them myself, tho' apparently my writing is completely illegible!

Z said...

I know, and she sent me one too. But I had to post it today and it would have been a brief note if I'd hand-written it. I did apologise...

Anonymous said...

Ha, of course it is a good present - you are down with the yoof! Lenin and her school friends are buying each other engraved hip flasks as 18th birthday presents this year!

Z said...

They are people with fine judgement and they will Go Far - in the right direction. I feel quite encouraged and I hope that Lynn likes it. All I want now is a hip flask of my own. I think I'll go back to the shop and see if they've got another.