Saturday 6 December 2008

Is a Labrador cross a shaggy dog?

I had occasion to remember the radio show My Word which starred Frank Muir and Denis Norden many years ago - in particular the shaggy dog stories they told at the end of the show which finished with a given punch line. One, which I quoted on Dave's blog, was about someone who grew ferns in his garden and no flowers at all. The punch line was 'with fronds like these, who needs anemones?'

Then there was the Inuit who lit a fire in his canoe to keep warm and it caught fire, proving that you can't have your kayak and heat it. And the tribal chief who stacked all his ceremonial chairs in a traditional hut until it collapsed, which just showed that people who live in grass houses shouldn't stow thrones.

I grew up on this sort of fare. Maybe that's the reason I appreciate Murph.

6 comments:

Malcolm Cinnamond said...

Road-tested all three in the pub this evening (didn't take the credit!) - inuit joke went down the best. Good stuff.

Z said...

Oh, well done, Malc!

luckyzmom said...

Thanks for the laughs!

Dave said...

I suspect this is where Murph gets his material. I remember it well.

Z said...

I may come out with a few more of them myself in future, Dave.

Anonymous said...

NPR used to run that show until about a year ago. Very corny, but funny. I had no idea it was a "vintage" radio show. The humor reminded me of my Dad, who had a comedy act for the USO in WWII. His favorite expression when something didn't go well was it "went over like a pregnant polevaulter".