Saturday 20 December 2008

Z is chauffeuse

I spent the morning in the church, where several of us were doing the decorations and I was getting things ready for the service tomorrow as well. There were some people I haven't seen for a while, so I stopped for a chat with each of them - this sounds as if I've got an inflated sense of self-importance and I can only apologise, acknowledge it, but explain that it's not all self-imposed - and praised and thanked them for what they were doing. It's not me as me, it's me in the role I have accepted.

One lovely friend stayed until the end and we were able to chat too about some local matters that we're somewhat concerned about, and it's good to have someone you can speak freely to, when you are both on the same wavelength and both know it'll go no further. There are things sometimes that I'd love to talk about here but can't as they involve other people and it wouldn't be right.

In a few minutes, I'm taking Ro to the station as he's spending a couple of days in London with friends. It feels quiet already. Weeza is also going to London tomorrow; in fact they all are but Phil will spend one night and then go in to work on Monday from there, whilst Weeza and Zerlina are staying on for another night.

Time to go.

4 comments:

Mai said...

Dear Z - As you were good enough to visit one of my blogs, I thought to visit one of yours.

I found out we have a lot in common.
The loveliest girl in Vienna
Was Alma, the smartest as well..."


Jane Austen! Dostoyevski (Although I prefer The Brothers K)! Tolstoy (Although I like Anna Karenina better )!

And we are contemporaries, rare among bloggers. I am a 56 year old woman.

BTW, I have vision problems and had to enlarge the text of your blog here to read it.

My best to you and The Sage and all the rest.

Chardi kala!

Mai

Z said...

Thank you, Mai, for visiting and commenting so kindly. I will revisit you and read what you have to say, fully next time.

Anyone reading the next post, I'm still learning. Mai practises what I preach.

Z said...

Having said which, I wouldn't recommend that you go and look at the post of Mai's that I did. Not if you want to sleep. Seriously.

Mai said...

Dear Z - I think I should make it clear that those pictures were not easily or lightly posted. They arrived in my inbox and it took several days and sleepless nights before I finally made the decision.

Yes, they are offensive. Yes, they are sensational. And finally, I decided that the only way to wake up my readers was to show them. Nothing else has worked to convince people that action must be taken. I have written about this before with pictures not so bloody and explicit, with only a little response. These pictures have flooded my inbox with comments, most sympathetic, some condemning, one or two threatening.

For better or worse, people are beginning to react. I cannot do this alone. But what little I can do, I must do.

“I am only one, but I am one. I can't do everything, but I can do something. The something I ought to do, I can do. And by the grace of God, I will.”
Edward Everett Hale


I am Sikh and this social activism, fighting against oppression and injustice is an important part of my religious belief.


In the meantime, the children are still dying.