Friday 6 May 2011

Vote early, vote often

I think it would be good to have a referendum every year.  I can think of quite a few things that I'd like to vote on and, going by some of the peculiar decisions various governments have made, I reckon that British citizens could make at least as good a job of it as Parliament would.

The high school governors' meeting is on Monday and there will be a final decision, as far as we're concerned, about becoming an academy.  We do not yet know whether the application will be accepted.  I've arranged for a secret ballot because I think that's appropriate; however the vote goes, it'll be a joint decision and we'll all continue to work together.  Besides, once it was agreed (in another place) that the vote should be on a show of hands and several people voted one way or another because of who was watching, and it ended up with the chairman's casting vote.  I was chairman.  It gives no good feeling of power, I can tell you.  It was extremely difficult, under the particular circumstances.                                                                                                                              

I took most of the afternoon off.  I could have found work to do, of course, but I didn't - it was a beautiful day and it was far nicer to be outside.  The Sage was out and I made myself an omelette, poured a glass of wine and relaxed.  It was so pleasant that I'm rather tempted to do the same tomorrow.  Not outside though, not if the forecast rain falls.  I shall gaze at it with interest, however.  It's a long time since I've seen rain.

9 comments:

Dave said...

According to the forecast it has been raining heavily here for 55 minutes. Clearly I've forgotten what rain looks like.

Z said...

There is an air here as if the weather wants to rain but has rather forgotten how. I have the side door open so that I can run out and refresh my memory if the opportunity arises.

Dave said...

I see the BBC have now updated the website to say grey clouds at 7 and 10, possibility of a shower this evening.

My mother tells me it's raining in Northampton.

Jane and Lance Hattatt said...

Hello Z:
If we have to have a government, and the Belgiums appear to manage very nicely without, let us have government by referenda on all major issues. Such fun to go off to the polling booth at [fairly] regular intervals!

Have an enjoyable weekend.

allotmentqueen said...

Had some intermittent quite heavy bursts over here (Bristol). Gardens/allotments much appreciate it although in terms of how dry it's been for so long now I doubt that's enough. Sun's come out again now.

allotmentqueen said...

Ooh, I've just noticed. Dave's got a new picture. Looks like he's touting for work as a brickie now that the Great Wall has been celebrated (I was going to say christened but I'm not sure any water has passed its way).

Z said...

I think that it would get people more engaged in what goes on - an extra referendum every May when local elections are held anyway, for instance, would make any government more accountable, make us take responsibility and get a higher turnout for council elections.

Hazy sunshine here, very warm. I did have a bottle of not-quite-champagne in the fridge, but couldn't quite bear to crack it over the wall. Maybe I could get a birdbath font and have Dave baptise it.

Unknown said...

I partly agree re the referendums. If I felt the British public would at least do some home-work on whatever issue was up for the vote, then I'd be happy to go along with that. Alas, I don't think very many do.

Z said...

Welcome, Sharon, thank you for dropping in. Your blogs make me realise once more how simple my life is.

It won't happen of course, no government would dare to do it. But it would be the most radical way of giving responsibility to people and I think that those that care would step up to it - as long as it wasn't trivial populist matters but things that are quite dull, important but where there is a genuine choice.