Monday 3 December 2007

The usual sort of day

I had a phone call from Al this morning, just before 8 o'clock, asking if I could go and open the shop for him as he wasn't feeling too good. I had offered last night, as both he and Dilly were under the weather then, but I sort of expected an earlier call and was settling down to eat breakfast. As it was, I dried my hair, poked various items of make-up in the general direction of my face, and was out of the house within ten minutes, taking my slice of dry toast with me.

An hour later, the shop was open, produce on the shelves and I was on my way to Norwich. I chatted to various people, drank black coffee, ignored a mince pie, asked the speaker about his credentials (fine ones, but I had to be sure of getting them right), introduced him, listened to a marvellous lecture about La Traviata, thanked him, drank two glasses of mulled wine, chatted to more people, 'interviewed' someone interested in coming on the committee, drove home, finished a letter, printed and signed it, ate a small piece of feta cheese and drove to the high school, having been in the house for five minutes.

I chanced upon the person to whom the letter was addressed, so rescued it from the secretary's office and delivered it in person, then spent the next 50 minutes with the Year 9 music lesson.

I came home and looked at emails. I even opened and read a few of them. Al rang and asked if I could go back to the shop to take over from Tim. He still feels queasy and dizzy, but better than he did. The children are fine.

I have eaten two rice cakes and am drinking tea. I feel empty but not hungry. I shall spend two more hours in the shop, come home, drink more tea, prepare and eat dinner and then start work.

I know you're all busier than I am, doing much more vital things. I merely fluff around on the surface. I'm not at all sure if I think we're marvellous, or just plain daft.

9 comments:

A wildlife gardener said...

You are certainly a Good Samaritan 'standing in' when it matters most.

BTW, I was pleased to read of the teddybear teacher's release today, even though she behaved so naively. She has been soooo lucky. It could have been a very different outcome...I shudder to think of it.

Dave said...

We're all just plain daft.

Z said...

It's fortunate, as my son's business is a one-man band, that it's one I can help with. He would never take holidays, let alone be ill, otherwise.

Yes, and it seems through tactful diplomatic intervention. I wonder if she'll sell her story?

Dave, but you are marvellous. Maybe it's just I who am daft.

luckyzmom said...

You did more in one day than I do in a week. I just finished my breakfast of steamed cauliflower dressed with about a tablespoon of mayonnaise, approximately a 1/4 of a teaspoon of Grey Poupon and a sprinkling of sharp cheddar. Yumm-O.

Greg said...

"I came home and looked at emails. I even opened and read a few of them" - brilliant!

Anonymous said...

We may be daft, but we are happy! Or is that just delirium from overwork?

Z said...

Lucky, huh. I'm jealous.

Steg, I've taken some control. I've deleted 33 unread, read three more and am continuing to ignore the rest until Wednesday.

I dunno, Martina. I fell asleep during Nigella again. I love that woman. She has the most relaxing show I know.

Ally said...

Marvellous, I vote.

I dislike Nigella intensely. Food is not sexy. It is FOOD.

Z said...

Cheers, Ally!

Nigella is so soothing, though, so soporific.