Sunday 25 April 2010

Z Pants

I just came into the room - some time ago, I left the Sage watching snooker, and I expect he couldn't find the remote control (it was so simple when you just used the buttons on the tv) and so left it - and the report of the London marathon is on. I left it and sat down with a glass of wine, but now, ten minutes later, my hip is actually aching. Since it doesn't normally (this is my own hip, not the one that the Sage paid for), I can only assume that hips have ears.

My main other feeling is relief that I shall never go for a run. Sorry, I do appreciate the pleasure and satisfaction that people get from running, but I've never felt it and I'm not unhappy that now I never can.

Another christening this morning, at our informal monthly service, which starts off with bacon sandwiches and newspapers and ends up with me and Andy playing, respectively, clarinet and keyboard. He set a rattling pace and I was breathless by the end. Shine Jesus Shine, indeed. And Pant Z Pant. Five sharps, 'n'all. One of the lads in one of the music classes I go to was in the congregation. We succeeded in not catching eyes.

Later, I labelled and moved the rest of the tomatoes, and here they are. They don't really look like three hundred and something, but they're all here, except the unidentified one. Actually, it looks like a Gardener's Delight, but we'll see. I'll give it a good home, anyway.
I'm anxious to start planting things out, and the Sage has promised that he'll finish the netting soon. I'm busy all day tomorrow (meeting, organist at funeral, working lunch, meeting), but I've still got potting up to do. It will be done in the evening, I hope. Weeza and Zerlina are coming over, but I won't see them much. I even had to ask Dilly to do lunch for them as Mary and I keep on meeting and getting sociable and not getting our work done - we must catch up. I wouldn't normally put anything before family, but Mary's under a whole lot more pressure than I am, and I will spend time with Weeza and make up for it another day. Anyway, Zerlina and Pugsley will enjoy some time together - Squiffany and z are so close that Pugsley can be sidelined. Likewise, Weeza and Dilly are great friends and I must be glad they can spend time together and not mind that I can't join in.

In case any of you notice the time on this post, I started writing it and then went to cook dinner before finishing. So the marathon was on television ages ago. At least an hour.

10 comments:

Christopher said...

I'd much rather hear about Z pants than wife rants. (Sorry - with Rog away we have to do our best.)

5 sharps? Impressed.

Z said...

Oh Christopher, I thonk you're marvellous. If Rog doesn't get back soon, he'll find that you're calling the shorts.

5 sharps are easier than 5 flats, don't you think? It's all right on a piano when you can see them, but I have to think my way through any scale on a clarinet (I didn't start playing until I was 38, so didn't bother with the basics).

Anonymous said...

"Jesus! Shine!"

The punk edition.

Wendy said...

I like Shine Jesus Shine. Great song. Bet it sounded smashing with the clarinet.

You know what? Even with all your descriptions of your many tomato plants and other veggie things, I was surprised to see how large that greenhouse is. It's like a proper little industry you have going there.

Dave said...

I've only potted-on one tomato plant so far. They seemed to take a lot longer to germinate this year.

Z said...

The greenhouse is a little over 40 feet long and about 14 feet wide - I've divided it into three beds, 3', 4' and 3' with 2 paths, each 2' wide. The other big wooden greenhouse needs major repairs, then there's the 3x10' end-to-end greenhouses, which are chock full.

It's been cold this spring, hasn't it? Weeza's started off her seeds in the conservatory and more tender things on the kitchen windowsill. I've got a big heated propagator, but I've found things slower than usual too.

Anonymous said...

My goodness - you hve been busy!

Our tomatoes are about a foot tall and taking over The Studio - they've gone absolutely mad while we've been away. Hope it warms up enough to get them planted out into the greenhouses soon (no room until the once-plug plant flowers have gone out into tubs and baskets).

We've had very poor germination of cucumbers and courgettes again this year, even with new seed. No idea why.

Blue Witch said...

Ah, that was me, hit the wrong name button, sorry.

badgerdaddy said...

Would you be interested in reading a book that is both incredibly interesting and the best I have read on the simple joy of running, as well as being a truly incredible, beautiful adventure story? Certainly my favourite book of the moment, just finished my second read of it and it's wonderful. Check out Born To Run by Christopher McDougall - it's about a tall bloke getting injured, looking in to barefoot running and ultimately running against the best distance runners on the planet, the secretive and lovely Tarahumara tribe in Mexico's Copper Canyon.

Just writing about it now makes me want to read it again, and I only finished it on yesterday!

Z said...

The seedlings that I had room for in the propagator have certainly grown a lot more than the ones in the unheated greenhouse. Everything germinated well, but the unfortunate courgettes have been caught by frost.

Isn't it odd? Some years, something just doesn't germinate, even if you've done nothing different. At least there's still time to re-sow.

Indeed I will, Badge - quite happy to be enthused by the idea, even if I am not going to put it into practice. I'll look up the book tomorrow and order it.