Thursday 15 July 2010

A Sage and his sagacity are soon parted

It became very windy during the night.  Both bedroom windows were open, and we were woken by one banging back and forth.  The Sage got up, so I went back to sleep.  The sound woke me again several times during the night, but it wasn't until 5 o'clock that I could be bothered to get up and deal with it.  I closed the offending window, checked the other one was on it's keep-thing (must have a proper word, the sticky-up bit that the hole in the bar fits on to) and went back to bed.  Of course, I read and played games until it was nearly time to get up, and then went back to sleep.

Later, I suggested to the Sage that it would be a good idea always to make sure that the bedroom window was secure.  "I got up," he said.  "It was secure, but it was so windy that it was banging anyway."

I pondered this for a moment.  "Which window?" I asked.  "The one above the side door," he said.

"Um.  That wasn't the banging one.  You didn't check the window on the other side of the room, then."

It appeared not.  There didn't seem any point in asking why, in any case, he hadn't shut the window he thought was banging.  One doesn't necessarily think quite straight at 2am.

8 comments:

Gledwood said...

Wind? WIND??!?
Where did you get the luxury of that from?
Was it fresh and cool and breezy?... Or did was there a rank, putrid-cabbagey topnote? I was just wondering whether or not somebody farted and you got a bit confused...
WIND..! We could have done with a gust or two last week :-)

Dave said...

A hinged window is called a casement.

The long bar with holes in it used to keep it open is called a casement stay.

The sticking-up pin thing that fits into the holes on the casement stay is called a casement stay pin.

I hope, as Vicus says, this helps.

Z said...

Fresh and cool and breezy it was, Gled. More than fresh, in fact. It was quite a nuisance, as a lot of stuff got blown about and one of my artichoke plants is lying on its side and I'm not sure it'll survive.

Thank you, Dave. I knew I could rely on you. Mind you, it doesn't quite trip off the tongue, "casement stay pin" and I don't think it's actually used in real life. Except, possibly, by you?

Dave said...

And DIY suppliers.

Christopher said...

Did Mrs Casement wear stays?

(Please don't feel obliged to answer or indeed to take any notice at all. I just enjoy sending my idle thoughts winging their way to Norfolk of a windy morning. Anyway, Dave will know the answer.)

Z said...

I should have added, "in conversation."

What did the Caspian see, Christopher?

Christopher said...

I'm sorry, I don't know what Esau.

I shall just have to ask Dave.

luckyzmom said...

I just love you guys but wonder what you are talking about once in awhile.