Monday 1 February 2010

Z has no shame

After a really lazy weekend, I was full of energy today. And Weeza and Zerlina came to visit, so I was glad of it. Zerlina added to her repertoire of joined-together words - she'd picked up a napkin (yes, darlings, it was indeed a double damask dinner napkin) and played peep-bo with it. Then, putting it down, she remarked "went 'boo!'"

This afternoon, I went in the car to the surgery to have my dressing removed. I decided I could just use one stick, so as not to be conspicuous and, the screen saying '0 minutes' delay, I actually was called in a couple of minutes early. The two nurses and I were pretty impressed with how my hip has healed and I now don't have a dressing on at all. Hooray! I can have a shower.

Indeed, darlings, I throw modesty to the winds. Weeza said "are you going to put a picture on your blog?" I admitted that I probably would, and she offered to take the picture. I have cropped it for modesty, but that means it is a bit startlingly close-up, so I've done it small and recommend that you don't enlarge unless you feel very prepared. And I'll put it at the bottom (heh) of the post by some way, so that if you don't want to see it at all, you don't have to. She also measured it and it's 6" long. 15 cm, if you prefer.

Afterwards, it felt a bit unprotected and, in case it hurt later, I trotted over the road to the chemist for some paracetamol, and then went into Al's shop to say hello and buy some fruit. The Sage thought I would get vegetables too, but I reminded him that he was in charge of cooking and it was entirely up to him. Besides, potatoes and greens were all out of my reach, being low down.

What was really good was to just go about in a reasonably normal way. I've been sometimes using a stick for a while, so this wasn't too odd. We went over to the bakers afterwards for macaroons, to celebrate. We bought a gingerbread animal decorated with Smarties for Zerlina, too. And later on, Dilly brought Squiffany and Pugsley in for the cousins to play together, so the day could hardly have been better really.

Later, I quite wanted a little lie-down. But I didn't, because I knew I would fall asleep and then I wouldn't sleep tonight. That reminds me, after all the kneeling shenanigans last night, although I recorded Mad Men, I watched it at the time anyway, so needn't have bothered. Still, no harm done, hey. And I haven't felt inclined to take any paracetamol, so that's good.

I am not, I confess, going to last much longer without a drink. I'm not sure life is worth living. The anti-coagulant I'm taking for a month might, among numerous side-effects, impair liver function. Well, it only says 'might'. And I eat a pretty low-fat diet, so that should help the liver. One little glass a day should be okay, don't you think?

Right. Photo to follow. Stop here if you don't care for bruised thigh.






















21 comments:

Marion said...

Sounds like a plesant day for you. We've had another snow storm. 7 inches and very cold last night. 15 degrees F. Warmed to 40's today though. Yes, of course one glass could only do you good.

Z said...

We only had a sprinkling of snow last night, but Friday's is stlll lying, which is unusual. It feels really cold, but not by your standards!

Anonymous said...

It looks neat; how on earth do they manage with only a 6" hole to work through?

I can't see why a small glass should do you any harm - go for it.

Anonymous said...

Cheers.

martina said...

Oh that is lovely! Your surgeon did an excellent job and there is far less bruising than I would have expected.

lom said...

That's a nice tidy cut you have there, and well done.

Z said...

Heh. I love this blog. I receive scar compliments and an encouragement to drink.

You're up early, LOM. I'm awake (dur) but still in bed.

Blue Witch said...

Amazing healing, and what a neat and small scar! I'm sure it could be furtherimproved by a glass or two of red.

People permanently on warfarin or haparin aren't told not to drink, although warfarin and lots of alcohol can cause problems (see, eg, two-thirds of the way down this page, under 'drug interactions' - sounds like eating pickled eggs would be much more likely to cause problems: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warfarin).

Christopher said...

Coming on nicely. Well done! I think you owe yourself at least one glass of red. Santé!

Roses said...

That's a very neat scar.

Check you! And walking to the shops.

You wouldn't be walking to the shops round here at the moment. The ice still hasn't melted and it's like glass out there.

A small glass won't do you any harm. Note, small glass, not small bottle!

Z said...

The one I'm taking is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivaroxaban, under its brand name. One person in trials died of liver failure, but I doubt I'll make a second.

Having shown to my complete satisfaction that I can, with no difficulty, both cut down on and cut out alcohol, I have nothing more to prove. The Sage is going out tonight (a long-standing engagement to do a talk on Lwstft china) so I will sit here this evening with a modest tipple.

Christopher said...

Splendid idea. Then when the Sage comes home you can say to him 'I've only had tee martoonis and I'm not so drunk as thinkle peep I am'

- but I'm sure you're the soul of moderation.

Z said...

Oh darling, I'm so annoyingly sensible, and moderation is part of me. Not that Dave thinks I am, he would probably describe me as 'flaky', if one could imagine such a description passing his lips.

I suspect that I'll be light-headed after a single glass in any case, after 12 days without alcohol and 9 on short measures.

I, Like The View said...

good to see that it's all healing up well and nice to know you're able to enjoy life's small pleasures

(-:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Z said...

Mm, red wine...

Anonymous said...

When ILTV clued me in I realised who you were. Well, who you still are.
Should I come back when I've learned better grammar?
Anyway, now that I have put a blog to the recipe I'll pop in again from time to time.

lom said...

I get up at 4, I love the early morning

Z said...

And what a photo to find on your first visit! Sorry - things will get better. And thanks for dropping by - I've bookmarked your blog too and will be settling down for a read soon.

LOM, in summer I can understand it, but not at this time of the year! Even the birds aren't singing until after 5 o'clock.

luckyzmom said...

Please don't ask me to show you mine since you showed me yours:0

Z said...

Not everyone is as shameless as I am, which is just as well...