Saturday 27 February 2010

Three Years?

Lemon Gin Recipe

Ingredients:
  • I litre bottle of medium quality gin
  • 200 g white granulated sugar
  • 3 unwaxed lemons (just the rind, avoiding the pith)
Method:
  • Make space in the bottle for the sugar and lemon by pouring off at least 200 ml of gin (reserve this).
  • Gently pare the lemon rind from the lemon. Be really careful to avoid the bitter pith (at a pinch use a zester – although the results are not nearly as good).
  • Add the peel to the bottle.
  • Using a funnel add the sugar to the gin and shake well. Top up the bottle with the reserved gin. Find a use for the surplus (I usually mix myself a large gin and tonic at this stage).
  • Label the bottle. Wrap it well (bubble wrap is ideal) and place securely in the boot of your car (The alcohol will not allow the bottle to freeze completely in cold weather).
  • Drive the car hard for three years.
  • Remove the bottle. Taste and taste again.
I was looking on my computer for a recipe that I'd been given for vodka flavoured with Seville orange. I couldn't find it, and I think that I was told it and didn't write it down.  However, I think that this recipe, which I did find, could be adapted satisfactorily.

But three years?  Don't think I can wait that long.  Maybe I can just give it a regular shake and wait a few months.

I don't know who gave me this recipe.  Any of you?

Not you, Dave, I know that already.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

How damn complicated!

Z said...

Do you think, Mago? I was thinking of giving it a try. I mean, only three ingredients and some shaking.

And a bonus G&T into the bargain.

Malcolm Cinnamond said...

I was totally with you up to the "three years" point. A margarita takes five minutes to put together.

Anonymous said...

Maybe I am more of a "Wirkungstrinker" than else ... that means break the bottle's neck now and not taxi it around for years ... Franconians did not invent rafinesse.

Z said...

If I make it and don't tell you, you won't even know you're waiting patiently. I think it'll be worth a try after three months rather than years, though.

Christopher said...

Three years! By that time I'd have forgotten all about it, changed cars and fielded phone calls from the new owner wondering where he/she could get more of that wonderful anti-freeze.

(What were you doing up and about at 4.27am, Z? Couldn't you sleep?)

Z said...

I couldn't sleep, but I was in bed. I'm often awake for a few hours in the night so I take my phone with me so I can read without utting the light on. I went back to sleep later.

DILLIGAF said...

Guess what I'll be doing this afternoon???

Medium quality gin? No no no. Only the best in this house!..;-)

Z said...

I'm going to give it a try, too. And the Sevilleorange vodka, on the same lines. It seems rather a lot of sugar though, for the lemon - I might cut that down a bit. I don't think I use that much for sloe gin, and sloes are much more astringent than lemon peel.

Anonymous said...

There are wide ranges of quality in vodka, some of the stuff they sell here is only good for a trecker engine, horrible ... makes headaches while looking at the botte.
And what is sloe gin? You burn something yourself?

Z said...

Sloes are the fruit of the blackthorn - I looked up the translation and got schlehdorn for the shrub and schlehe for the berry. If that's wrong, it's Prunus Spinosa. Anyway, you add the berries and sugar to gin in the autumn and drink it in the winter. Or keep it a few years, it keeps getting better.

Anonymous said...

Schlehe, Schlehdorn, yes I know it. Sugar, berries - one can use Korn or better Doppelkorn - a clear 40 % made from Korn, that is wheat. Doppelkorn, double, it is called either because it is burnt two times - but I think what is for drinking goes normally two times through the destillery - or it is filtered two times. These clear spirits must calm down a bit, they are simply too rough when too young and burn the throat.
One can put it all in a bottle and put the bottle in a cold place or a place where the temperature is not changing too much but allow a little winter sun on it.
One can make extracti from various things, spices, herbs, must know what they are good for. Some must be sweet and be made thick, others oily, depends on the agent or dope you extract and the use.

Cheers.

Blue Witch said...

I'd recommend changing the sugar for honey. We use 1lb per bottle of gin or vodka. Drinkable in about 4-6 months.

Z said...

Thanks, BW. Nice to see you again. I've been thinking of you both.