Sunday 26 August 2007

Party time

Last evening we went to the annual Cyder Club party in the next village. Lots of home-made cider to drink and, in the tasting tent, those that were entered in the competition. The quality is variable - some rich and potent with a sherryish flavour, others somewhat acidic and some simply peculiar. The Sage is a member of the club, although he doesn't make cider himself, but enjoys the social angle of the monthly meeting, when he goes along to help with the apple pressing, bottling or whatever is going on. My contribution is saving any screw-top wine bottles to donate. Jenny won the prize for the best cider.

When we arrived the cover was just being taken off the hog-roast contraption. Adrian spent a couple of years perfecting it -the spit is powered by a motor and he was using ash logs for the fire. He started it off at about 9 in the morning and it takes the best part of 12 hours to cook through. It tastes gorgeous. He did the hog roast for El and Phil's wedding party - a local caterer did one for Al and Dilly's which, though very good, did not have the barbecue flavour, having been cooked in the oven.

There were lots of people there and it was a great evening. Farmer friends (who provided the unfortunate, though tasty pig) introduced me to a delightful French girl who is staying with them for two months, while studying fairly locally (I didn't catch where, but it is in a farming-related course). We chatted, and she asked about the band. I said that they were a local band, not professionals. "Is this traditional English country music?" she asked. "We don't have music like this at home." "Er, it's sixties pop," I explained. "About the same age as the people dancing to it." "Hi, ho, silver lining" joined in the dancers, waving their arms in the air. We moved outside to continue our talk as the band moved on to the Stones.

I was circumspect in the quantity I drank. Young cider can be deceptively strong and quite acidic too and I had no intention of risking an uncomfortable night. Camille, having politely drunk a small amount, was avoiding it...however, when we went for some cheese, I noticed that she chose the Stilton and Cheddar over the Camembert, though she didn't recognise Cheddar and had to ask me.

Today, my sister came for a visit, driving up from Wiltshire. We met at the pub - I went there from church to get the drinks in and the Sage, Al, Dilly and the children and Ro followed soon afterwards. Rosie, the landlord's daughter, was behind the bar, home from her gap year of teaching in a village school in south India. I've known her since she was about ten, she's a lovely girl. Our drinks, two pints of bitter, a pint of Guinness, a half of shandy, an orange squash and a large glass of wine, came to £10.90 (you see how I remember these things for you). Afterwards, we went home for a barbecue in Dilly and Al's garden and sat there all afternoon chatting. Just a baked potato and some cheese for supper, and my sister Wink is already in bed and asleep.

15 comments:

Monozygote said...

Farmer friends...introduced me to a delightful French girl who is staying with them for two months

This sounds like a thinly-disguised Archers plot, if you ask me...are you sure you don't live in Lower Loxley?

It all sounds lovely anyway

Z said...

Dandelion, you are a rascal. Mrs Farmer runs a guesthouse.

Dave said...

Very good of you to stick to the orange squash, it being a Sunday.

Z said...

Indeed, Dave, shandy has never been my tipple.

Pat said...

I was sure you were the large glass of wine. Two great outings - especially the second. One of my best memories was drinks and lunch in a friends garden whilst the children climbed trees and ran wild and nobody left until dusk.
BTW you do know that there is only Sommerset cider?

Z said...

Maybe that's the reason they call it cyder, Pat.

In pubs, I drink beer as that is usually more reliable than wine, and my local's landlord has a micro-brewery in his garage, which produces good bitter. Al also had beer, Ro had the guinness, Dilly had the shandy and the Sage had the squash - though he moved on to cyder at lunchtime.

I know how you all appreciate the minutest details of my daily life!

Monozygote said...

know how you all appreciate the minutest details of my daily life!

So was it a shager landy or a shitter bandy?

Z said...

Shandylion, the datter.

Z said...

Or do I mean, Landeshion, the shlatter?

luckyzmom said...

The more detail the bitter.

Z said...

Hee hee

The Boy said...

Sixties pop kind of is now traditional English country music, isn't it?

Imperatrix said...

Thinly veiled non sequitur: I have a recipe for chocolate cake with Guinness.

Dave said...

Did nothing interesting happen on Bank Holiday Monday?

Z said...

It is, really. We all know the words and it makes us feel deeply nostalgic.

Yum, that sounds delish.

Sorry Dave, out frolicking all day and spent the evening hunched over an Excel spreadsheet. Too tired at midnight when I finished to type anything. Nice to be missed, however.