Monday 7 July 2008

Z Pavlova

Salad tonight, with smoked mackerel, which I have lovingly filleted to save my darling boys the trouble. I took the food through to the dining room except the potatoes, which are still cooking. I laid the table. The sounds must have filtered through to Ro in the room above (it's not his bedroom but has better wireless reception than his room). I heard clattering on the back stairs. "Sorry" I said, "five more minutes". Moments later, the Sage's hungry head poked round the door. "Sorry," I said, "Five more minutes."

I just need to make the right noises and they appear. It's like putting the kettle on, which works without sound with the Sage.

12 comments:

Dave said...

Before anyone else comes here and makes any comments about your English, the whole piece appears to be written in the past tense, except the potatoes which are cooking.

If you change it now, no-one will ever know.

Unknown said...

First!!

Ooh, smoked mackerel! I love it with horseradish sauce and brown bread and butter!

Unknown said...

BOO!! Second!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Damn, 4th! The deleted one was me.

Z said...

Sorry, John. Dave is an early riser.

It was written as it was happening, Dave. I had done all those things written in the past tense, but the potatoes - which were Cornish - were then still cooking.

You got live blogging there and you didn't even realise it.

John, another 250 comments such as those will be fine by me. Jokes are good, too.

Z said...

Oh, and the mackerel was delicious.

Dave said...

An Englishman, and Irishman and a Scotsman go into a bar.

Dave said...

And the landlord says: 'I'm sorry, we're going to have to stop there. Jokes emphasising ethic stereotypes are non-PC.'

Z said...

Quite right, Dave. This is an entirely Dixon of Dock Green blog.

luckyzmom said...

Wow! I am impressed. My usual experience is to have to announce, "Dinners ready." at least twice. You're a magician!

Z said...

If they don't come, they get cold food. I eat.