Friday 24 May 2013

Wisteria

Tim has found the best example evah of splendidly awry grammar, which looks like nonsense at first glance but actually makes complete sense.  I've sent it to the Headmaster, who will love it too.  

“A father goes up to his son's bedroom, a book about Australia under his arm, ready to read him to sleep. The boy notices the book and says: 'Daddy, what did you bring that book that I don't want to be read to out of about down under up for?'”

The Sage has gone out for the day, to have lunch with a friend, and I'm going to be out for an hour or so tonight at an open evening at our Skills Academy - I'll tell you more about that one day soon.

The wisteria is just starting to open, but is mainly still in tight bud, showing little colour as yet.  Pat asked about its colour - no, I didn't enhance anything on the current header picture, but it was late afternoon when I took the picture.  The house faces west so the sun was behind me.  You can see the moon in the sky to the right of the house.

I looked up other photos of the wisteria ... actually, I was looking for the original of that one, wondering when it was taken, and found other examples too from different years. 
                                                               This is 17th May, 2006.  
 Here is 16th May 2008
And 25th May 2010 

And I shall trot out into the rain to show you what it looks like today.


24th May 2013

Well, at least it hasn't been hit by frost. We cut it back from the gable end every few years because it gets under the tiles, so it's rather less rampant this year than some others, but my point is to demonstrate how late the season is this year.   

9 comments:

Z said...

I have no idea why the entire text is in the font and colour of the copied'n'pasted comment. Oh well.

Zig said...

tis out round 'ere - and a very good year for it it is isn't it if late? I love grammar :) but grammar don't love I.

Anonymous said...

Wonders of blogger.

It took me some time to understand the sentence and sort through "to out of about down under up for". A very nice find!

Rog said...

I think we should guard against mass wisteria. It looks lovely 5 years ago!

Z said...

I love mangling grammar, it's fun!

It's marvellous isn't it, Mago? Once you work it out, that is.

You're right, Rog, I was quite carried away there.
2008 was its best year ever, it was fabulous.

Roses said...

I don't know why everyone's complaining about the weather...it's terribly mild for the middle of November.

Love wisteria. Love how it looks, smells and drapes.

kipper said...

It is beautiful but please be careful with any cuttings. A relative lost her dog because the dog ate wisteria branches out of the compost pile when no one was looking. They are highly poisonous to canines.

dinahmow said...

Perhaps I should post a picture of my rampant monster...If it flowers this spring it will be a neck-stretcher as it's already gone waaaay beyond human reach.
Roses made me aspirate my wine!

Z said...

We can't have Christmas until I've finished cutting the sodding grass, Roses!

Kippy, thanks for the warning. I'll burn the cuttings or bin them, when the time comes. Not that Ben is a great stick-chewer, but you never know.

This wisteria has been cut to a stump several times, Di, over the year. It's too big for the house really. I hope that you and Roses will meet in June!