Tuesday 16 September 2008

Today

I found it a bit hard to get going this morning and lurched out of doors and into the car a bit later than usual. It was probably that which made me not notice the car seats in the back until I'd parked in Norwich. I phoned Dilly (at least I'd remembered to stuff my freshly-charged phone in my bag) to apologise and offer to come home again in time to return Squiffany's seat in time to get her to nursery school at 12.30. Dilly, being always kind and relaxed, said it wouldn't hurt Squiff to miss school for once, especially as she's not 100% at present, having a cold.

Later, she got online and ordered a couple more seats - the present ones will only fit Squiffany for a little while longer. There can be two in Dilly's car and two in mine, or else one in mine and one in Al's van and swap about. It's a bit difficult to remember as Dilly works Monday, Wednesday and Friday one week and Tuesday and Thursday the other. It's dawned on them how much more she can earn as a teacher than Al does as a greengrocer and they are pondering a bit.

Anyway, another splendid lecture, about the workmanship of the treasures of Sutton Hoo and the king who is (most probably) buried there - or rather was, the acid soil destroyed his bones. His name was Raedwald (pronounced Radwald; if you can do a nice gutteral thing on the R - that is, Hradwald - then all to the good). The fine workmanship on the jewellery, on belt, scabbard, epaulettes, bag etc, which is gold inlaid with garnets, has been replicated but not by the original methods. They do not know how these early Angles worked the garnets with such precision, cut and faceted and inlaid in their gold setting. They are done so precisely that there was no padding to keep them in place and they are as perfect now as they were in about 625.

Ah. The headteacher of the village school has just called round. She wanted to tell me, at the time she told the parents, that she has just handed in her resignation, although she won't be leaving until the end of this academic year, next July. She wants to move nearer her family, in short. I haven't been a governor there for a couple of years, but I was one for 18 years and she says she still thinks of me as part of the school and wanted to keep me in touch.

I wish I could tell you all about the circumstances preceding her appointment but I can't. I actually signed a confidentiality document, so I really can't. Sue has been a fabulous head and has brought the school through some difficult times (mainly staff illness, there was some dreadful bad luck there) and it won't be easy to find someone of her quality.

This post doesn't really go anywhere, does it? I will have something specific to talk about tomorrow though, when I will ask for your help and it will involve Ro. No, he is not causing problems. He's fine.

5 comments:

Dandelion said...

Is it a quiz? Will there be prizes?

Z said...

You will make your own prize. It is a project!

Anonymous said...

Hmm project..does it involve construction paper and white glue?

jAMiE said...

Oh..i can't wait to find out what sort of project.

Dandelion said...

I love projects! Z, you are a national treasure.