Friday 9 May 2008

Toadying, brooding and toddling

I've loaded on the photos, but haven't had time to look at them yet. However, I suggested that you might have PICTURES, so pictures you will have. One of them moves!!(!)

When the Sage found a fine young toad in the garden, I took it straight through to show the children. "Look at this" I squeaked excitedly. Dilly turned round with an interested expression ... "Wooah!" she said and stepped back, startled. "You should know by now what makes me excited enough to show Squiffany and Pugsley" I said. "Yes", resignedly, "last time you were this happy, you brought a snake skin in to show us."

"Frog, frog" observed Pugsley. I explained. "Toad, toad", he corrected himself and stroked the dear little chap's head. We looked at him carefully. His skin was dry and he crawled slowly over our hands. He had clear brown eyes, unexpectedly beautiful.
Afterwards, we put the toad under the box hedge. He had been remarkably good-natured about the whole episode which I appreciated, as it can't have been a great pleasure, except when I kissed him ... well, it works with frogs, it was done in a spirit of scientific curiosity. Nothing happened, though.

While we were all outside, I showed the children where a bantam had laid a clutch of eggs. We were shifting the pile of branches from the dodgy fir tree that had been cut down before it fell on the house, a few weeks ago, when we saw a beady eye - she didn't stir, just looked at us.

She's still there now, patiently sitting. Fortunately, we don't have skulking foxes here at present, as indicated by the numerous rabbits frolicking in the kitchen garden eating everything that puts its leaves above the ground.

And, just for the 'aah' factor, here's Pugsley.

14 comments:

Brom said...

There is something nice about finding "visitors" in your garden. WE had a frog last week. Always leaves me thinking, where did he come from and where was he going.

Anonymous said...

Aaah, yes, he's cute. (Pugsley I mean).
As for kissing a toad - yuk! I don't mind picking them up but wouldn't go that far - even in the name of science.

Unknown said...

Foxes=gun=fire!

Z said...

There's water all around here, so there are plenty of frogs and toads. And fields, so we have hedgehogs, pheasants and all the rest of it.

Indeed, John. Friends a couple of miles away lost all their chickens last week, and another friend has lost half of hers to foxes. Two young ones have been shot, but there's the rest of the family still learning to hunt.

Newts, frogs, toads, I love 'em all, Sandy.

I don't know whether it was my voice or Dilly's at the start, but she laughed and then bade farewell to her escaping little boy.

Anonymous said...

Oh Pugsley is cute! He certainly can toddle fast. Toad is just fascinating. We had a raccoon kit under the deck last week. The dogs barked and dug at the deck. Must have scared the baby as it had left by the next afternoon.

Z said...

Ooh, raccoon. I suppose they're destructive, but I'd love to have one here. I don't even mind the moles when they dig in the vegetable garden, as they're just so sweet with their soft fur and shovel feet. Not so thrilled with the rabbits, though.

luckyzmom said...

We have lizards and rodents that live in the rock wall separating our postage stamp backyard from the golfcourse. It is amazing to see how much and how fast the wall has eroded by the rodents (moles). Not as fun as the fascinating creatures in your yard.

And the Pugsley video is delightful. I will be watching it every time I visit here, for a smile!

luckyzmom said...

PS-Perhaps if you had kissed the toad in different place?

Z said...

Good point, I never thought of that. Kissing toad lips is a little extreme, however, even for me. Have you seen the length of their tongues?

Katy Newton said...

Toad! Toad! They are great, aren't they? Nuff said.

Katy Newton said...

Am less sure about toad lips.

Z said...

Hello, Katy. I trust your instinct in these matters.

luckyzmom said...

Ewwwwww!

Z said...

Don't you mean 'aah'?