Monday 19 May 2008

Hypno, hypno, hypno...

On Friday, I had an email from El (also known as Weeza), entitled No jokes about 'opening like a flower'!

I've won a course in hypnobirthing through a - website Good grief!, she said, excitedly. "Oh fabulous - shall we call the baby Omlet?" I wrote back, and there was a pause while I read the website. I was typing again when I had her next email Splendid! The tutor's called Helianthe... !. "I was just that very moment about to email you and say that! Even more spookily, I've just bought some sunflowers* from Al to take to friends tonight" I said. Cosmic & spooky indeed! Or as Pugsley would say, Scary!

My reply was obvious "Can I blog about it? ;-)"

Weeza girlie, she say Yes! Although, apparently, Phil is quite concerned to think it's become public knowledge; that is, in the family. What he would say if he knew I was telling you, I don't like to think. Until now, I've had a good relationship with my son-in-law.

El added My yoga guy tries to get us chanting occasionally and baby flipps out at his Yammmmm mantra. I can't bring myself to do it outloud but I make suitable vibrations in my throat instead and baby goes flippy! Perhaps omlet's the name after all?

Regarding the website, the bit that puzzles me slightly is this - "Returns childbirth to the beautiful, peaceful experience that nature intended". Um, I'm not sure it really ever did. I was woken early on Sunday morning by an awful screeching sound. It was a bird in torment and I leapt to the window and peered out to see if a cat or fox had caught a chicken or pheasant. Then came the cackle of triumphant relief - the egg had been successfully laid.

Anyway, I rather want to try hypnobirthing, but there's an obvious 'however'. Maybe I should learn the techniques in case of a tricky session at the dentist?

*Helianthus is the botanical name for sunflower, from the Greek helios, meaning sun. I rather hope that Helianthe has a sister called Phoebe, which is the moon.

17 comments:

Dandelion said...

I love hypnosis! Can't recommend it highly enough. As an experience for the mind, it's fantastic, better than a lot of drugs, I would say, if you have hypnotic susceptibility. I haven't actually tested it out in a surgical pain-relief situation though.

Dave said...

Having given birth to a number of stones quite naturally, I would like to say that concentrating on one's breathing works completely satisfactorily, and obviates the need for any other kind of pain-relief.



I'd like to say that.

Z said...

I'll see if she can recommend the course, Dave. Alternatively, maybe your consultant could acknowledge that there is no need for you to have to pass large and jagged stones and book you in at intervals to have them broken up.

The Sage had a kidney stone once. When an X-ray showed a few more smaller ones, he was told to come back in 6 months and they'd be zapped. However, they disappeared - reabsorbed or were passed as tiny specks; he was unaware of it - so it wasn't necessary. It was made clear that he would not have to go through the pain and internal damage repeatedly, however.

Dave said...

Mr Ho, urological consultant at the N&N, doesn't appear to have heard of 'zapping' stones - he says the only options are to pass them naturally, or for him to remove them via a surgical operation, which would cause more damage, hence carry on as you are unless you get a blockage.

Pat said...

For some reason I thought it was a
water birth but then I only did a year's Latin. Sounds worth a try.

badgerdaddy said...

A friend of mine did 'hypno birthing' and she gave birth with no painkillers at all. In fact, she described it as 'a breeze' if I remember right, and has no memory of any pain at all.

So I'd say go for it.

Z said...

Wikipedia - Finding a significant stone before it passes into the ureter allows physicians to fragment it surgically before it causes any severe problems. In most of these cases, non-invasive Extracorporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy or (ESWL) will be used. I think this was what the Sage's consultant was referring to, Dave.

Especially as she won it - it's free! Pat and Badge

Dave said...

Oh yes, I know that in more advanced civilisations they have non-invasive treatments; this is Norfolk, though.

Z said...

The Sage went to the N&N too, but he's evidently not as stoical as you and said that he didn't ever want to go through that (passing a stone) again. Fortunately, the problem hasn't recurred.

I'm not suggesting that you *want* to pass kidney stones, only that he may have been less good-natured about the whole thing than you are.

Z said...

BTW, El loves her visits to a flotation tank, Dandelion

The Preacherman said...

hypnobirthing? riiiiight.

So you think you're a plank and give birth to a splinter?

Does the baby come out thinking it's a plank?

'N I thought I was weird ;-)

Z said...

A chip off the old block, you think, Manic?

Z said...

Sorry, Weeza - I'm not calling you an old block

Dandelion said...

I've never tried a flotation tank...would love to hear more what it's like.

Does she actually get in, or just visit it?

Anonymous said...

Hello, thanks for all the positive comments about this. We are slightly worried about it being 'hokey' (esp Phil), but are generally v pleased to be learning & trying it... for free! I've been hearing lots of positive hypnobirthing stories from sane people since I mentioned this, so am v encouraged.

Flotation tanks are lovely peaceful sensory deprivation things - it's physically v peaceful and really slows down the mind. All in one lockable room, you shower, put in earplugs to keep out the salts, climb in the tank nude, close the lid, lights out, float - an hour of peace and lovely spinal repose. You can select new age tunes to ease you in too, which I find nice. http://www.floatworks.com/ for more info. It's especially lovely with baby wiggling about - I've gone a couple of times since I've felt her move!

Z said...

Dandelion, the getting in was strongly implied. You are quite as bad as Dave.

Because of the saline nature of the solution within the tank we advise that all clients should not shave on the day of their float session. Ooh, ow, good advice.

Sounds fabulous, actually, especially when pregnant - oh, that constant backache...

luckyzmom said...

I am feeling relaxed just reading about this.